Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Winning Races


The sun is rising on football season. For me this is an exciting time, though there are admittetly mixed opinions on the value of sports in America. While human nature will always find ways to twist and debase sports into an idol and obsession, there is a lot to learn and love from the fields of competition. For example, if anyone needs help understanding total depravity- examine the Washington Huskies 2008 football season. More positively, I have been tremendously helped by the perseverance and courage experienced in sports. Paul commonly uses racing imagery in his letters, and it ought to be commonly remembered.

In Pauls letter to the Philippians
"But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way"
In Pauls letter to timothy
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith"

A succesful running lifestyle involves two things- good work and good rest. In the long run you must have those two components. Both are found in Jesus Christ. Most often people think life is all about one or the other. But nobody wants the "most often" results in life do they?

My old cross country coach showed this to our team prior to one of our state meets. It's one of my favorite videos ever.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Kyle. I like it.
    This is John Mickelsen btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10,000 meters sounds more impressive than 10k. They should still call it that. :-)

    ReplyDelete